Curried Carrot Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped, about 2 cups
- 1 pound carrots, cleaned and diced in ½-inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh turmeric, or ¾ teaspoon ground dried turmeric
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 small potato, peeled and diced in ½-inch pieces
- 5 ½ cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- Cilantro or parsley leaves
- Ground chiles, optional garnish
- Heat the oil in the Yedi Houseware pressure cooker. Stir in the onions, carrots, and garlic, and sauté about 5 minutes, until the onions soften. Stir in the turmeric, curry powder, cumin, and salt, and cook about a minute. Add the potatoes, vegetable broth, and apple juice.
- Lock the lid in place and cook on high pressure 5 minutes. Quick release the pressure.
- Allow to cool, and then blend in batches until it all is a smooth puree. (If you have an immersion blender, you don’t have to let the soup cool down–just puree directly in the pot.)
- Stir in the lemon juice. Taste–add more salt if needed. Serve hot, with toasted pumpkin seeds, fresh cilantro, and a sprinkle of ground chiles.